Chinese spring rolls with chicken and plenty of vegetables recipe. It is a very good for party finger food dish.
Make spring roll isn’t easy work.
You have to prepare, you have to roll it one by one, and you have to fry it.
I made this Chicken spring rolls for hubby’s lunch box. A good wife right?
The spring rolls are every where in Hong Kong. Dim sum restaurants ‘of course’, Thai restaurants, Vietnamese restaurants… even supermarkets.
But it is the pandemic at this time, I don’t want to buy the instant foods.
What is the spring roll.
Chinese called this dish ‘chūn juǎn (春卷)’ , means ‘spring roll’.
Many peoples sometimes called ‘egg roll’.
There is not egg in the ingredients at all. But the wrappers made with egg dough.
They are usually eaten during the Chinese new year in China which called ‘spring festival’. That’s the name come from.
The dim sum is very popular in Hong Kong. You need to wait long line when you go lunch time.
They love drink tea with small dishes like dumplings, rolls, buns..etc.
One of the popular dim sum dish is this spring rolls.
They typically contain minced pork or chicken, shredded cabbage, shredded carrot, bean sprouts and mushroom.
And serve with dipping sauce.
Homemade sweet chili sauce recipe
How to wrapping Chinese spring rolls.
They are very good party finger food or a snack. Of course for the lunch box, it is still yummy when it cold.
The key point is crispy. If filling has too much moisture it will be soggy after, specially when it’s cold.
If you need it later, you can freeze them.
Put one part in a air tight container, place parchment paper or foil and put rest of them on top and freeze. You don’t need defrost when you fry them.
Do you want to swap the chicken to the pork? Yes, you can.
Chinese spring rolls with chicken
- 400 g chicken breast (finely chopped or grounded)
- ½ tablespoons light soy sauce
- ¼ teaspoons sugar
- ½ tablespoons minced garlic
- ½ teaspoons minced ginger
- 1 teaspoons cornstarch
- 350 g cabbage (shredded)
- 100 g carrot (shredded)
- 8 shiitake mushrooms (finely chopped)
- 25~30 egg roll wrappers
- 1 egg yolk
- 1 cup vegetable oil (for frying)
- Season the chicken with the ingredients listed above and let it marinate few minutes.
- Wash fresh shiitake mushrooms in salt water and squeeze it tightly, then slice it into thin slices.If you use dry shiitake mushrooms, soak it in warm water before using it.
- Place a frying pan over medium heatWhen it becomes hot, add about a tablespoon of oil, then add chicken and stir until chicken is cooked.
- When the chicken is cooked, divide the vegetables in half and add to pan about 1 minute intervals, stir until vegetables are soft.If you add vegetables all at once, you will get a lot of moisture.
- When it's finished, spread it out on a wide tray and let it cool.If there is too much moisture, pat dry it with kitchen paper.
- To prevent the egg roll wrappers from drying out, cover with a wet towel and separate them one by one.Put the egg yolk and half a tablespoon of water in a small bowl, mix well, and set aside.
- Put a tablespoon of the fillings on a egg roll wrapper and roll it up. Follow to the pictures in the post.At the end, apply egg water on the edge and roll it up, and the egg roll wrapper will stick cleanly.
- Pour the oil for frying in a frying pan and wait for the oil to heat up over medium heat.It's the right temperature when you add a piece of the egg roll wrapper and bubbled right away.
- Add the egg rolls and fry them to brown evenly, then put them on a kitchen paper to remove grease.