This is red lentil soup recipe with some vegetables always ready at home.
I’m not big fan of creamy pureed soup. I made this soup for my hubby who recently take off his wisdom teeth. Poorly he could not chew or open his mouth wide.
Anyway it was good decision to make lentil soup. I loved it.
Why red lentil soup ?
Cooking red lentil soup is very easy, just about 10 minute prepare, put all in one pot and hands off while cooked.
Creamy lentil and vegetables make hearty enough for rush dinner, also can serve an appetizer. Lentil is edible legume which has full of good nutrients.
Keep it vegan is your choice, skipping the cream topping or replace to the coconut cream.
This soup is perfect for any season. Serving hot would be good in winter, still cold soup is taste good for summer.
Ingredients and methods.
All vegetables are simple to get. I believe every houses already had in the fridge.
Herbes de Provence can replace to dry thyme. If you like you can add 1/4 tsp of cumin powder it brings a Middle Eastern flavor.
Veggies stock can replace to chicken stock if you like.
As I said if you want to vegan, skipping the cream topping or replace to the coconut cream.
You like chunky soup than too creamy soup? You can skipping blend or just press with the masher little bit. The lentils are going to be tender and mush when cooked.
If you want to cook large amount of soup and keep in the fridge, don’t cook more than a week worth. Legume doesn’t go long in the fridge specially in summer.
Red lentil soup recipe
- 1 tablespoon Olive oil
- 1 Yellow onion
- 1 clove Garlic
- 2 Carrots (medium size)
- 2 sticks Celery
- 1 cup Dry red lentils
- 3 cup cups Vegetable stock
- 2 Bay leaves
- 1 teaspoon Herbes de Provence or Thyme
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- 4 tablespoon Cream or Coconut cream (Depends on your choice of vegan or not.)
- Chop the onion, carrots, celery, garlic.
- Heat olive oil in a large pot over medium heat. Add chopped onion and garlic. Saute for 1 minute.Add carrots and celery and saute for 1 more minute, stirring occasionally
- Add lentils, vegetable stock, Herbes de Provence or Thyme. Cover with lid and simmer about 30 minutes over medium- low heat until lentils are soft.
- Get rid the bay leaves. Puree the soup with hand blender. Add salt and pepper to taste.Serve with a dollop of cream or coconut cream and garnish with fresh chopped parsley if you desired.