Have you tried the Korean fish cake called ‘Eomuk’? If you been Korea, you should seen ‘skewered fish cake with broth’ from the street vendors.
Eomuk is a very popular food in Korea.
It is not like the Western fish cake.
It’s made of pureed white fish and some starch and fried. Normally it is a cooking ingredient. Similar with Chinese fish cakes.
This stir fried fish cakes dish is one of the staple side dishes in Korea.
Specially lunch box because it is still taste good when get cold and no liquid.
When I was school girl, my mom used to make stir- fried fish cakes a lots for my lunch boxes.
Sometimes without Korean chili powders, sometimes add various types of ‘Kimchi’.
this is my mom used to make when I was child. Yum~.
Stir- fried Korean fish cake
Normally Korean use the flat square fish cakes in this dish. But if you have different form of fish cakes in your hand, slice them to bite sizes.
You can not found ‘Korean fish cakes’ , than you can replace with Chinese fish cakes or Japanese fish cake ‘satsuma Age’
Those are mostly manufactured these days, that’s why quick blanch with hot boiled water.
If fish cakes are in the hot water too long, those are going too soft. So make sure fish cakes placed in a colander and pour hot water and drained same time.
Those fish cakes are already cooked, add other ingredients first which need cook longer.
If you are not a big fan of the spicy foods, skipping chili powder or fresh chili. It still taste good.
You don’t want to with the steamed rice? That’s fine.
Add a lots of vegetables like broccoli, cauliflowers, zucchinis… ect. Just make sure cut bite size and cooking time difference.
Korean spicy stir-fried fish cakes recipe
- 240 g Fish cakes * see note
- ½ Onion
- 1 Carrot
- ½ Capsicum
- 1 Chili option
- 1 cup Sliced mushrooms** see note
- 3 Tbsp Chopped spring onion
- 1 Tbsp Minced garlic
- 4½ Tbsp Soy sauce
- 3 Tbsp Corn syrup
- 2 Tbsp Korean red chili powder*** see note
- 2 Tbsp Vegetable oil
- ¼ tsp Black pepper
- 1 tsp Roasted sesame seed
- Slice onion, carrot, capsicum, chili, mushrooms, Set aside.
- Slice fish cakes and place in a colander.Pour hot boiled water over the fish cakes and drain completely.
- Mix the soy sauce, corn syrup, Korean chili powder. Set aside.
- Heat a heavy pan or pot over medium heat. When the pan is hot, add oil and the sauce mixture. Bring to boil about 1 minute.
- Add the vegetables stir well to cover the sauce, cook for about 30 seconds and reduce heat to low heat.
- Add the fish cakes and minced garlic, stir well about 1 minute.
- Remove from the heat, add black pepper and sesame seed and serve with steamed rice.
- * You can use Chinese fish cakes or Japanese fish cake. If the fish cake is big pieces, slice to a bite size.
- ** You can use any kinds of mushroom or you can skip.
- *** You can skipping it if you don’t like spicy.