This eggplants with ponzu sauce is super simple ingredients, super quick and super easy to cook. Yes, super~ super~~!
This is a Japanese side dish it goes with steamed rice very well.
And I show you how to make simple ponzu sauce with simple ingredients.
Ponzu sauce is a popular Japanese all-purpose sauce. It tastes tangy, citrusy.
The name from Dutch word ‘pons(punch as in a beverage made from fruit juices)’ and ‘Su(vinegar)’.
It is useful sauce for many food, especially on oily food. The citrus flavor neutralizes the oily rich tastes.
How can use the sauce
Usually used a dipping sauce with the Shabu Shabu or deep fried foods, sasimi and dumplings
It can use as a dressing salad, tataki, takoyaky. Specially grilled or oven baked vegetable salads goes perfect with this sauce.
You can marinate any kind of meats, seafood, fish.
Sprinkle over tataki, stir fried or grilled foods and as I did the fried foods.
Cooking eggplants with ponzu sauce
You can use eggplants or squash, zucchinis.
It doesn’t need fry, you can grill , stir- fry or bake if you avoid of oil.
You can skipping the ginger or replace with katsuobushi flakes if you have it. Place katsuobushi flakes in warm water about 10 minutes, strain out the solids.
you can replace the lemon juice to other citrus fruits juice you already have.
If you desire more refreshing, add some grated radish like dipping sauce for fried foods from Japanese restaurants.
If you don’t like citrus flavor, you can use tsuyu sauce instead ponzu sauce.
Eggplants with ponzu sauce
- 2 eggplants
- 2 teaspoons ginger
- 2 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon mirin
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 cup vegetable oil
- 1 tablespoon chopped spring onionpinch
- sesame seeds
- Finally chopped ginger and mix with 1 tbsp of water, set aside 5~10 minutes.
- Cut the eggplants in half lengthwise, cut bite size about 3~4 cm lengh.
- Score in a cross hatch pattern on the skin side about 1/3 through.
- Combine soy sauce, mirin and lemon juice. Add ginger water discard pulp by colander. Mix well
- Heat oil in deep frying pan over medium heat. When the oil temperature reach 180ºC, add eggplants. Fry 2 minutes and turn fry 1 more minute. It will be slightly colored and almost soft.Place on kitchen paper to discard oil as much as possible.
- Place the eggplants on a dish, pour the ponzu sauce over. Garnish chopped spring onion and serve.